Sixth Grade English
In sixth grade English, students continue to build their skills in both literature and language arts, becoming more proficient readers and writers.
Reading/Literature: Together, we will read two classic fiction novels: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor and The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. We will also read the non-fiction novel, A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park, recounting the story of a young Sudanese refugee. In addition to novels, students will read a wide variety of selections across genres from the Holt Reader and the literature text, Elements of Literature.
Students are expected to read at least one book on their own for English per trimester, passing an AR (Accelerated Reader) test by at least 75%. The goal is to reinforce the importance of frequent reading as a life skill. Please note that AR books should be chosen at or above the student’s individual reading level and not one he or she may have read before.
Extra credit may be earned each week by reading and completing an independent reading log found here.
Writing, Grammar, and Punctuation: We will use a variety of sources to reinforce language skills, including the Warriner’s Handbook and the Holt Language and Sentence Skills Practice book. By the end of the sixth grade, students will be able to identify all the different parts of speech, parts of sentences, and parts of well-written paragraphs and essays. Students will also learn how to correctly punctuate their writing. With lots of practice, students will be able to construct thoughtful and logical responses to writing prompts in expository, persuasive, and descriptive modes. Finally, students will produce a research report using proper MLA style as a collaborative work between their English and social studies classes.
Vocabulary: In addition to reading and writing skills, students will improve their English vocabulary using the Sadler-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop book, Level C. We will also be exploring word construction, studying word roots and affixes.
Extra credit may be earned by creating vocabulary notecards in advance of the unit quizzes, which occur about every other week. Students should review their notecards for several minutes each day prior to the quizzes. Find guidelines for correctly creating notecards here and here. Find extra vocabulary practice here.
Seventh Grade Math - Intro. to Pre-Algebra
In seventh-grade math, students progress from a focus on calculation to an exploration of number systems and variables as they apply to real-life situations. In this class, students will progress at a pace that ensures mastery of the major concepts explored in each unit. By the end of the year, students will be more confident with their math skills as well as better prepared for Alegebra.
The units will include the following:
- Integers and equations using integers
- Rational Numbers
- Expressions and Equations
- Multi-Step Equations
- Ratio, Proportion, and Similar Figures
- Percent, Fractions, and Decimals
- Linear Functions and Graphing
- Plane Geometry
- Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Statistics and Probability
We will use the Glencoe Mathmatics Pre-Algebra textbook as the basis for daily lessons and homeworks. Lessons will be reinforced using several supplementary sources and activites provided in class. If a student needs help or reinforcement of a skill, he/she should see me for help from me during the day, right after school, or before school the next day. I will be happy to help any student who needs it.
Students should expect to keep an organized notebook, participate fully in class activities, and complete homework assignments, quizzes and tests showing all their work. All procedures will be taught during class.
In general, all work is to be done in pencil and corrected using red pen. Students should arrive to class with an adequate supply of lined paper, quadrilrule graph paper, pencils, and red pens. For the most part, we will use calculators to check for accuracy and not as a primary calculating tool.
Seventh graders will have a final exam at the end of each trimester, and this score will account for 20% of their final grade, with scores from daily work, homework, quizzes, tests, and projects making up the remaining 80% of the final grade.
Students can find homework assignments here. Homework is due at 8:00 A.M. each day.
Students can earn extra-credit by completing a problem of the week (POW) which can be found here. All work must be shown and the steps explained fully to earn full credit. POW's are due on Friday mornings at 8:00 A.M. Students may only complete the problem of the week for that week. No late POW's will be accepted.