Endowments Ensure GSL’s Future
A recent decision by the GSL Board of Trustees now enables school supporters to choose how some of their donations are allocated. GSL first established an endowment fund, called the Anchor Fund, in 1982. Each year, 5% of the dollars raised through the Annual Fund is automatically deposited into the Anchor Fund Endowment Trust for reinvestment. Under the successful guidance of Gerber/Taylor Management, this fund has grown over the years and is currently worth about $1.5 million. With the Board’s approval, the structure of this Anchor Fund Endowment was modified and expanded to include several separate funds, offering a more focused range of tax-deductible giving opportunities.
The six GSL endowment funds are:
- The Anchor Fund: Established in 1982, this general fund was established to provide GSL School with long-long stability through a variety of investment opportunities. A portion of the funds are distributed to meet budgetary needs on an annual basis.
- The Dennis Cain Facilities Fund: Established for the maintenance of the School buildings and grounds. This includes, but is not limited to, construction of new facilities, debt service, and other items related to the physical plant that aid the mission of the school.
- The Scholarship Fund: Established to provide need-based financial assistance to families of current or prospective students wishing to attend GSL. (Determination of those students receiving financial assistance rests solely with the Headmaster.)
- The Library Fund: Established to promote and support the GSL School library.
- The Technology Fund: Established to provide appropriate technology to students, faculty, and staff consistent with the educational goals and mission of the School.
- The Arts Fund: Established to promote and support the arts activities of the school. This includes, but is not limited to performing and visual arts.
GSL families are encouraged to continue their support of the Annual Fund each year, because of its critical importance to the school’s operating budget, but the Board and Administration are pleased to offer the new endowment options as well, further building and strengthening the school’s future.
If you are interested in making a contribution to one of these funds now or as part of your estate planning process, please contact Denise DuBois Taylor, Director of Development: dtaylor [at] gslschool [dot] org.