2018-19 Annual Fund
Mandy & Chirag Chauhan Take the Lead!
Many GSL families are already well aware of the Chauhan family. They have been actively involved in GSL life practically since day one. Parents of Cole (3rdgrade) and Blake (1stgrade), Mandy and Chirag are always eager volunteers – the first with big contagious smiles, great senses of humor, and plenty of elbow grease. Organizing teacher appreciation events? Done that. Co-chairing the Anchor Auction? No problem. Room parent? Of course. Finding event sponsorships? Check. Member of the Parents’ Association Board? Yep. The Chauhans love GSL, and they prove it every day.
Originally from Princeton, Ky., Mandy played golf for Tennessee Tech while earning a degree in business. She traveled to Memphis for a PGA Tour summer golf position at TPC Southwind, and that summer stint led to Mandy’s becoming a full-time Memphian. After several years with Commercial Bank and Trust, Mandy now works part time in accounting at Aquaserv. Mandy has long been active in the GSL Parents’ Association. Last year, she co-chaired the highly-successful Anchor Auction held at the Pink Palace Museum.
Chirag is a lifelong Memphian. He attended Houston High School in Germantown and graduated from Rhodes College before receiving his MBA from the University of Memphis. Chirag is Partner and Director of Financial Services at the Barnett Group and Barnett Financial Group where he supports employers and individuals in the areas of employee benefits and wealth management. He earned hisRetirement Planning Specialist designation from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. Community-wide, Chirag serves on the board of the Orpheum Theatre Group, Mid-South Boys and Girls Club, and the Methodist Germantown Advisory Council.
As a family, the Chauhans enjoy watching the Grizzlies, going to lake, playing golf, tennis and basketball (Mandy used to coach church-league basketball)–AND volunteering at GSL. We are excited and grateful for their leadership role in this year’s Annual Fund.
The Annual Fund: Why Give?
- GSL is a not-for-profit business. By design, high-quality schools are labor-intensive and people-oriented. Where a for-profit company might consolidate employee duties and resources to save money, combining classrooms and reducing staff would not benefit our students.
- The majority of your donations help us to recruit and retain highly-qualified instructors, pay for advanced education and training, and purchase classroom technologies.
- Your donations help pay for annual campus improvements like the Preschool's enhanced Outdoor Classroom, the new flooring in SK and the two new classrooms in Middle School.
- The Annual Fund helps minimize tuition increases by off-setting additional costs per student-roughly $2,500 each.
- The Annual Fund directly benefits families in need of financial assistance. This enables more people to enjoy the benefits of the GSL experience.
- Every dollar counts. Even a small donation makes a big difference.
GSL Going Strong
To keep GSL going strong now and in the future requires a conservative and responsible approach to the management of its annual budget and a keen and diligent eye on its long-term investment stability. To this end, the school has established six specially-targeted endowment funds:
- The Anchor Fund - GSL’s general Endowment benefits from a variety of investment opportunities.
- The Dennis Cain Facilities Fund - For the maintenance of school buildings and grounds.
- The Scholarship Fund - Providing need-based financial assistance to families of current or prospective students.
- The Library Fund - Promoting and supporting GSL's library.
- The Technology Fund - Providing state-of-the-art technology to students and staff.
- The Arts Fund - Promoting and supporting a variety of schoolwide arts activities.